Ever wanted to become a citizen of America but didn’t know how to get US citizenship? Becoming a US citizen is a dream for many because of the many possibilities it brings. It also entitles one to protection while offering citizens the freedom to exercise their rights and responsibilities. If you’ve been wondering how to get US citizenship, here’s a brief overview of the ways to obtain it.
There primarily four ways you can gain United States citizenship and they’re explained below:
- Become a citizen via marriage
Marrying a US citizen won’t automatically make you a citizen of the United States, but you may become eligible for a green card. A green card allows you to reside and work permanently in the United States. You will also have to attend an interview and present proof of marriage as the US government is worried about sham marriages. After receiving a green card, you will have to wait for a minimum of three years to apply for naturalization.
- Become a citizen through parents
If you’ve been wondering about how to get US citizenship, another common way to consider is through parents. You can qualify for a US citizenship if you’re born to American parents even if they reside outside the United States or if only one parent is a US citizen. Additionally, children legally adopted by an American can also become a citizen by virtue of their adoption.
- Become a citizen through military service
If you’re in the armed forces and you’re law-abiding, you can apply for US citizenship. Although the requirements are slightly different, this category applies to both soldiers who served during peacetime and during wartime. The US has been experiencing a period of war since 2002 and this period will continue until the president declares that it is over.
- Become a citizen via naturalization
Naturalization is a voluntary way of becoming an American citizen. In this case, you must have had a green card for at least five years which is the proof that you were lawfully admitted into the US Additionally, green card holders must have lived for at least thirty months in the United States during the five years and must meet other eligibility requirements.
How to get a green card
Having a green card may make it easier and faster to get US citizenship. You can get a green card in any of the following ways
- Green card through a family. If you have a close relative in the US who is a citizen and can prove that they can take care of you, you can apply for a green card. A close relative in this context refers to a spouse, unmarried children under 21 years of age and parents.
- Green card through a job. An employer can petition for you to be able to live in the US due to a job offer. You can also apply if you’re looking to invest $500,000 or $1,000,000 in the U.S economy.
- The green card as a refugee or asylee. Refugees and asylees in the United States can also petition for a permanent residency card.
For most people whose parents are not citizens of America neither were they born in the US, applying for a green card is the first step towards obtaining US citizenship. If you’re looking to apply for a green card, you can carry out the process yourself online. Better still, you can use the services of professionals who are experts in filling the forms.