Are you planning to migrate to America to live and work there? Winning a green card lottery can help you achieve your dream without having to pay a huge fee. A green card is a permanent resident card that authorizes you to live and work in the United States permanently. Every year, the United Department of State grants green cards to thousands of people who apply for green card lottery.
However, this lottery is more than just the usual game of luck on a Sunday evening as there’s a stipulated legal process to follow and it all begins when you apply for green card lottery. Here’s how you can apply:
Part one: Fill out the online form with your personal details
The online form requires the following information:
- Full name, date of birth, gender, a city you were born, a country where you were born, country of eligibility or charge ability for the DV program
- Entrant photos (Attach recent digital photos of you. The photograph must be of high-quality and must meet the required specifications)
- Mailing address, the country where you currently live, phone number, and highest educational qualification
- Marital status and number of children
Part two: Derivatives
You will also be required to fill the following information where applicable:
- Spouse full name, date of birth, gender, a city where your spouse was born, a country where your spouse was born and a recent photograph of the spouse
- Child’s name, date of birth, a city where the child was born, a country where the child was born and a recent photograph
When you’ve filled the required information, you will be given a unique reference number with which you can check the status of your application, starting from 1st of May the following year.
The green card lottery is not open for citizens of every country for a variety of reasons. One of the key reasons is that some countries have had many of their citizens immigrate into the U.S. over the past 5 years. Before you apply for Green Card Lottery, you should confirm that your country is not on the ineligibility list which includes the following countries:
- Dominican Republic
- South Korea
- El Salvador
- United Kingdom (except Northern Ireland)
- The Philippines
What happens when after you apply for Green Card Lottery?
After you apply for the Green Card Lottery, the immigration team will evaluate your application and approve it for submission to the U.S. Government. Your application will now be a part of the lottery drawing which is 100% random after which you will be notified if you’re one of the winners.
Applying for a green card lottery can be a cumbersome process that requires attention to details as any wrong input of information may cost you of the opportunity for the current year. If you’re looking to apply for green card lottery without hassles, consider using the services of a reputable company.